Monday, October 29, 2012

2013 Plans - Goals

For 2013, it's going to be pretty simple:

1. I want to focus on flatter races that I enjoy. Races like Roger Millikan in Brea and the Redlands crit.
2. I'm going to race regularly over the early part of the season (February through April).
3. If I can ride at the front and get some top 5 finishes, I'll look to upgrade to Category 3, otherwise, I'll go back to being a recreational rider.

In order to make all this happen my anaerobic fitness has to get back to where it once was. That means hard days doing intervals up Mt. Palomar and beating the heck out of myself on the rollers.

All of this is of course easier said than done. It takes a lot of work and a lot of hours (at least for me) to be in good enough shape to do well in races. I just finished up my second base phase. That leaves one more 4 week base phase and two 4 week build phases to put in before I'm where I need to be for Roger Millikan on Valentine's Day weekend. Sprinkle a 10 day trip to India and a trip home for Christmas into the mix and it gets even tougher.

At this point I'm 10 weeks in to my 2013 training program. I've been able to do a good job of balancing work, training, and home life; to the point that I haven't had to ditch one workout. With some good luck and solid planning, I expect to see this trend continue.

No comments: