Sunday, November 25, 2007

Finally Back on the Bike

Thursday morning Carol and I drove down to Fiesta Island to go for a short ride.

On Monday I'd gotten down to B&L Bikes to get re-fitted to my bike and bring it home. They'd taken all my components off my old frame and moved them on to the new one, put some new handlebars on, rebuilt my damaged shifter, put some tape on the new bars, and trued my wheels. I was really surprised when it came time to pay. I was expecting to fork out at least $500. At the end of the day I walked away paying $48.

It was really special to see all the work that the guys at B&L were willing to do for me just to get me back on the road. From the time that I crutched my way into the shop two and a half months ago and they learned how badly I really was hurt, until I walked out with my bike they've been rooting for me the entire time. Randy Clark, an ex-pro rider, who does my bike fittings and is an all around great guy even invited me out to his bike team's Sunday ride. You can check out info on Randy's Big City Velo team here.

Getting back to the ride, we did a couple loops around Fiesta Island. Thirty minutes of riding or so. Being back on my bike felt great. It took me a few minutes to get to the point that I felt well balanced and was riding straight without having to concentrate on it. Back in my heyday I used to be able to average close to 26 mph out on Fiesta Island, this day 14 or 15 mph was about as fast as I got it going. All in all, the ride went about as well as could be expected. My left leg is still pretty weak, to the point that if I stand up on the pedals my leg isn't strong enough to bring the cranks through the dead spot at the top of the stroke (i.e. I can't pedal while standing up). Not being able to dorsiflex my left foot yet probably isn't helping much here either.

As far as my recovery goes, I'm starting to walk better and better. I can now walk/limp pretty well without my cane. I'm still using my cane to walk most of the time because Dr. Smith wants me to walk as smoothly as possible, but maybe in a couple more weeks I'll be able to walk well without anything other than my foot brace. I'm also starting to get a fair bit of tingling on the top of my foot again. Once I got off the pain medicine a couple months ago, the tingling in my foot (nerves coming back to life) was unbearable, to the point that I was taking medicine to dull the feeling a bit. A few weeks ago the tingling pretty much went away. Now I'm starting to get some tingling in areas that have to date been a little numb, which is pretty encouraging. It's not anywhere near as bad as before and hopefully it won't get to that point again.

1 comment:

carolz said...

Eric's slow spin of 14-15 miles is my full speed! This will probably be the last time I can keep up with him. :-)

It was great to see him back on the bike. From my perspective, he rode very smoothly and evenly. As much as I love everything about Thanksgiving, this ride was the best part of the day for me.