Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Nearly back on the road

It turns out that my bike has been fixed and ready for pick-up for two weeks now. I guess I somehow missed the voicemail that the bike shop left for me. I've got an appointment set up for next Monday (Nov. 19) to get re-fitted to it. Hopefully my flexibility won't be so bad that I need a lot of new components (a new stem to raise up the handlebars for example) in order to get back on it. We'll see.

On the subject of bike fitting, if you do have any plans to begin making regular use of a bicycle, a bike fitting is money well spent. With the amount of repetitive motion that occurs on a bicycle, it's really easy to begin doing serious damage to your knees, back, ankles, hips, etc if you aren't properly fitted to your bike. This is even more critical if you're using any sort of clipless pedal system where your feet and ankles have a lot less freedom to move around when you ride.

Like I said in a previous post, getting back on my bike is going to be a giant milestone for me in my recovery. If I can get back on my bike and start riding again I'll be doing something that seemed like such an unlikelihood only a few months ago.

No comments: