Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ice Skating

Carol has been taking some skating lessons. Last night I went out to the rink with her and took part in the public skating session that followed. It's probably been at least 2.5 years since I've skated, which makes you rusty enough, never mind the issues that my left leg presents.

When I first stepped on the ice I just about hit the deck. All of the strength I used to have between my left knee cap and quad isn't really there right now. At least it isn't anything like it was. It took me 5 or 10 minutes or so to start getting some confidence back in my left leg. I finally got to the point that I could stride pretty normally, do some cross overs, stops, etc.

Getting back on the ice made my left leg work in ways that it hasn't in a long, long time. In the end skating turned out to be pretty therapeutic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was fun to see you skate again. Even though you weren't in top skating form, you were still better than most if not all of the skaters out there. Well, maybe not the figure skaters, but definitely the hockey players and that guy who was wearing a speed skate and a hockey skate. :-)